Training & Workshops
Training at the Makerspace is required to access certain tools and areas and are designed for both new and experienced users.
We introduce the basic usage principles of our tools and important safety protocols that keep you safe.
Training is presented in two portions:
- Online Safety & Basic Use portion hosted in Canvas
- In-person assessment with a Makerspace staff member
Once the in-person assessment is complete, you will be able to access the tool/area by tapping your Rutgers NetID to the appropriate panel.
Click on the links below to get started (NetID sign-in required).
Safety & Basic Use Training
|Training||Prerequisite||Estimated Time to Complete|
|Woodshop 1: Safety & Basic Use
Basic Woodshop Tools & Equipment
|N/A||40-60 minutes||30 minutes|
|Woodshop 2: Advanced Tools
Jointer, Planer, Shaper, Hand Router
|Woodshop 1||30-45 minutes||30 minutes|
|Woodshop 3: Shopbot CNC
Shopbot CNCs - 2'x4' & 8'x4'
|Woodshop 1||60-90 minutes||45 minutes*|
|Laser Cutting & Engraving
Universal PLS 6.75
|N/A||15-45 minutes||30 minutes*|
|N/A||30-45 minutes||30 minutes*|
*includes machining time
upcoming SAFETY & BASIC USE TRAININGS
- Digital Embroidery
- Electronics & Bantam Tools CNC
- Tormach CNC
- 3D Printing: Safety & Basic Use
- Waterjet Cutting
- Metal Marking Laser
- Vinyl Cutting
- Virtual Welding Training
- Mat Cutter
If you'd like to be auto-enrolled in any of the upcoming courses once they're released, please let us know here.
- Access to the equipment will be granted via your Rutgers ID card that hold your training record and credentials.
- Access is provided on an individual basis - sharing ID cards, swiping in friends, etc. is strictly prohibited.
- Safety and basic use training is required regardless of prior usage or completion of prior one-on-one training. Once a training course is made available, machine use will be restricted to only those who have completed the required safety training.